WHY YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH OF VEG KORMA!The delicious and mouthwatering Veg Korma is very popular across India. It's very aromatic and tastes delicious. It’s automatically included in every special Indian meal. Veg kurma is also made during special occasions and festive meals.
- Prep Time - 10 minutes
- Cook Time - 25 minutes
- Total Time - 35 minutes
- Servings - 4
For making the paste
- ¼ cup - Fresh coconut (or ¼ cup of coconut milk)
- 12 - Cashew nuts
- 1 teaspoon - Fennel seeds (or ½ a teaspoon of saunf powder)
- 1 tablespoon - Roasted chana dal (optional)
- 6 tablespoons - Water or coconut milk
- 1 - Small bay leaf (Tej Patta)
- 1 - Star anise (Chakri Phool) (optional)
- 1 - Strand mace (Javithri) (optional)
- ½ - Teaspoon of cumin (Jeera)
- 2 - Green cardamoms (Elaichi)
- 3 - Cloves (Laung)
- 1-inch - Cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- 2 tablespoons - Oil
- 1 cup - Finely chopped onions (2 medium-sized onions)
- 1 - Green chili (optional)
- ¾ to 1 tablespoon - Ginger-garlic paste (or finely chopped ginger and garlic)
- ¾ cup - Finely chopped tomatoes (2 medium-sized tomatoes)
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon - Salt
- ¾ cup - Beans chopped to ½ inch pieces (8 to 10 beans)
- ¾ cup - Carrot, chopped to ½ inch pieces (1 medium carrot)
- ¾ to 1 cup - Cauliflower (gobi florets)
- 1 cup - Potatoes, chopped to ½ inch (2 medium potatoes)
- ¾ cup - Green peas (Matar)
- 1-¾ cups - Water
- 1 tablespoons - Coriander leaves for garnish
Spice powders for vegetable korma
- ¼ teaspoon - Alco turmeric powder (haldi powder)
- 1 teaspoon - Alco Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1-¼ teaspoons - Alco garam masala
Method of Cooking
- Finely chop the tomatoes and onions. Slit the chili. Set all of these aside.
- Cut the veggies into ½-inch cubes and set them aside.
- Keep the potatoes immersed in a bowl of water until used.
- Make a fine paste of the following: Coconut, Cashews, Roasted chana dal and Saunf. Mix the above ingredients with around six tablespoons of water. Set this kurma paste aside. If you don't prefer the flavor of fennel seeds, you can easily skip them.
- Heat oil in a pot. Now, sauté the following: Bay leaf, Star anise, Mace, Jeera, Cardamoms, Cloves and Cinnamon. Sauté these until they sizzle.
- Next, add the green chilies and chopped onions. Fry them till the onions turn transparent and pink in color.
- Fry the ginger-garlic paste till its raw smell vanishes.
- Next, sauté the tomatoes with salt till the pieces become soft and mushy.
- Add the following now: Turmeric Powder, Kashmiri chili powder, Garam masala, and Coriander leaves
Saute these well for about two to three minutes until the masala smells delicious.
Making Veg Kurma
- Transfer the coconut paste. Sauté for a few minutes till the kurma masala starts smelling good.
- Drain the water from the potatoes now. Add them to the pot.
- Add the other vegetables and mix well. Fry for around two to three minutes. Add water just enough so that it covers the vegetables. Adjust salt if needed.
- Continue cooking till the vegetables get completely cooked.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- That's it!! Serve veg kurma with pulao, chapati, or biryani.
Making Vegetable Korma in an Instant pot
- Press the "Sauté" button and pour oil into the inner pot of your Instant Pot.
- Add all the whole spices. Sauté them for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and green chilies. Sauté for about three mins.
- Add ginger-garlic paste now. Sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and salt. Saute for 1 minute.
- Shift the tomatoes and onions to one side of the pot. Add the potatoes to the other side.
- Cover with an external lid. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Sauté all of these for about one to two minutes.
- Add all the spice powders now. Sauté for thirty to sixty seconds.
- Now, press the "Cancel" button.
- Add the coconut paste.
- Add the rest of the veggies and mix thoroughly.
- Pour some water and deglaze the bottom by scrubbing it with a spatula. This prevents food from burning.
- Taste the water. Add more salt if needed.
- Secure the Instant Pot with the lid. Position its steam release handle/valve to sealing.
- Now press the "Pressure Cook" button (high pressure). Set the timer to one minute.
- After the Instant Pot beeps, wait for a minute.
- Release the pressure manually by moving the steam release valve from sealing to venting.
- Stir gently. Your Vegetable Korma would look runny at this stage. Don't worry; it will thicken after it cools down a bit.
Now, if you find the above cooking steps too daunting or you're in a rush, don't worry. You can make equally (if not more!) delicious Veg Korma/Lababdar with Alco's Mix Veg Lababdar Gravy Mix. It gives instant mouthwatering Veg Kurma gravy without you breaking into a sweat working with all the above ingredients.
FAQs on Veg Korma Recipe
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.