COOK LIKE A PRO: PERFECT VEG PULAO RECIPEVeg Pulao is a basic Indian-style rice dish that is delicious, aromatic, healthy, and quick to make for a meal.
How to make Pulao?
This quick and easy pulao recipe can make this basic veg pulao in a pressure cooker or instant pot.
- Prep Time - 15 minutes
- Cook Time - 20 minutes
- Total Time - 35 minutes
- Servings - 3
- 1-½ cups - Basmati rice (aged rice)
- 2 tbsp - Oil or ghee
- Salt as needed.
- 2-½ cups - Water for a pressure cooker
- 1-½ tsp - Ginger garlic paste
Vegetables and herbs
- 1 - Medium thinly sliced onion.
- 2 slit - Green chilies (or as per requirements).
- 1 - Medium chopped carrot (¾ cup)
- 4 - Medium chopped French beans (½ cup to 1-inch long chops)
- ½ cup - Green peas
- 1 small - Cubed potato (optional)
- 3 tbsps - Finely chopped mint (pudina; or coriander leaves)
Whole spices for veg pulao
- 1 - Bay leaf (tej patta)
- ¾ tsp - Shahi jeera (cumin seeds)
- 4 - Green cardamoms (elaichi)
- 4 - Cloves (laung)
- 2 - inch Piece - Cinnamon (dalchini)
- 1 - Star anise (optional, but recommended)
- 1 - Strand of mace (javitri – optional)
- A pinch of nutmeg (jaiphal – optional)
- Two pinches of stone flower (dagad phool – optional)
- ½ teaspoon - Fennel seed powder (saunf powder – optional)
Method of Preparation
- Add basmati rice to a bowl. Rinse it for a few times till the water runs clear.
- Soak the pulao rice for a minimum of 20 minutes. Drain the water completely after 20 minutes. Set it aside.
- While the rice is soaking, rinse the following: Carrots, Beans, Peas, Potatoes, Onions, Chilies and Mint leaves.
- Peel the potatoes and carrots. Cut off both ends of the beans. Chop them all into bite-sized pieces.
- Slice onions and slit the green chill. Finely chop the mint leaves. (You can also make a fine paste of ginger garlic, green chilies, and mint if you want). Set all of these aside.
Making Veg Pulao
- Heat 2 tablespoons ghee or oil in a pressure cooker.
- Add all the whole spices. Saute for about 30 to 60 seconds or till they start to sizzle.
- Fry the chilies and onions till the onions turn golden.
- Sauté the ginger garlic paste till the raw smell vanishes.
- Add all the vegetables and mint. Sauté these for around 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour water. Add the salt too. The water should be slightly salty to taste.
- Boil the water. Add the previously drained rice. Stir constantly.
- If cooking in pot, cover and cook on a low heat till all the water is absorbed and the rice grains are well cooked. Turn off the stove when the rice is done.
- Cover the pot. Let the veg pulao rest for around 10 to 15 mins. This makes the rice grains fluffy.
- Cover your cooker with the lid if you're making pulao in a pressure cooker. Then cook the rice on a medium-high flame for one whistle.
- Switch off the stove. When the pressure is released, remove the lid. Using a fork, fluff up the rice in your veg pulao.
- Serve veg pulao hot or warm with simple raita or gravy.
- Always use aged rice. It gives fluffy and grainy pulao.
- If you're using frozen mix veggies, use 1-½ cups of the frozen mix.
- Always adjust the water quantity depending on the rice type you use. If you're using regular rice, use more water.
- Using stone flowers (data phool) makes the pulao very flavorful.
- Adding too much nutmeg or mace can potentially make your pulao bitter.
Now, if you find the above cooking steps too daunting or are in a real rush, don't worry. You can make equally (if not more!) delicious Veg Pulao with Alco's Pulao Masala. It gives instant mouthwatering Veg Pulao without you breaking into a sweat working with all the above ingredients.
FAQS ON VEG PULAO RECIPE
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.