AMRITSARI CHOLE RECIPE: AN ALL-TIME DELICACYAmritsari Chole is a tomato-based curry with chickpeas that originated from Punjabi. Amritsari Chole is a very popular healthy comfort food in Indian cuisine. Amritsari Chole is best served with rice or naan.
- Type - Lunch/Dinner
- Serve - 4
- Preparation time – 30 mins
- Cooking time – 30 mins
Ingredients For Amritsari Chole Recipe
- One cup chickpea(Chole), soaked overnight or 6-8 hrs
- 2-3 Bay Leaf (Tej Patta)
- Few Peppercorns(Khadi Kali Mirch)
- 2 Black Cardamoms (Badi Elaichi)
- 2-3 teaspoons Alco Foods Coriander Powder(Dhania Powder)
- 2 teaspoons Alco Foods Kashmiri Red Chili Powder (Kashmiri Laal Mirch Powder)
- 1 teaspoon Alco Foods Turmeric Powder (Haldi Powder)
- 3 teaspoons Alco Foods Amritsari Chole Masala
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 2 Onions paste
- 3 Tomatoes puree
- 2 teaspoons Ginger Garlic Paste.
- Fresh Coriander Leaves (Dhania Patti)
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 1 Black Leaf Tea Bag (Chai Patti)
- 2 cups of water to boil
How To Soak Chickpeas
Wash the chickpeas with running water 2-3 times and drain the water. Then soak the chickpea in drinking water. The best ratio for soaking is 1:3 (1 cup of chickpeas : 3 cups of water). Cover it and let it soak overnight or 6-8 hours before cooking. Soaked chickpeas have more nutritional value and boost mental health.
How To Make Amritsari Chole?
- In a pressure cooker, drain and boil the overnight soaked chole with black cardamoms, teabag, salt, and 2 cups of water; boil till four whistles on medium flame and let it cool down.
- Put oil in the large wok(kadhai), add bay leaves and cumin seeds(Jeera), and let it temper.
- Add onion paste, ginger garlic paste, and turmeric powder, and gently stir the fragrant mixture over a low flame until the onions turn a rich, golden brown.
- Once the onion turns brown, add tomato puree and stir.
- Then add coriander powder and Kashmiri red chili powder, mix gently, and cover the lid.
- Once the oil separates from the curry, add boiled chole and remaining water, and stir it.
- Let it boil on low flame for 5 mins, add Alco Foods Amritsari Chole Masala, and enjoy the aromatic smell of authentic flavors in your home.
- Sprinkle some freshly chopped cilantro(dhania) leaves and squeeze a few drops of lemon juice on top of it.
- Remove the wok from the gas stove and serve the Amritsari chole hot.
Enjoy the perfect dish for chilly evenings with soft, perfectly-cooked white chickpeas, also known as Kabuli chana, in a flavorful, spice-filled masala or curry. This meal is vegan and gluten-free and pairs perfectly with bhature or kulche.
Added Tips for Amritsari Chole
- Slow boiling gives chole more flavor and taste and softens its texture.
- Pre-boiling the chole will save your cooking time and ensure it is ideal for the recipe.
- If you feel the chole hasn’t absorbed the salt properly, you can add it even after cooking.
- Mash some cooked Chhole and mix to get the thick gravy.
Summing Up on Amritsari Chole
And finally, when the delicious Amritsari Chole is on the plate with some pickled onions and Kulche, don't wait to indulge in and enjoy the flavor of North India. With traditional cooking methods and savory spices, you can try it and get credit for the distinct taste that originated from your kitchen.
If you loved our version of Amritsari Chole Bhature or Amritsari Chole Kulche, keep coming to this space for more delectable recipes and information. Do visit the Shop section of Alco Foods to view its products ranging from Ground Spices to Masala Mixes to Instant Gravies and flavored Cashews.
FAQs on Amritsari chole Recipe
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.