THE BEST DIP TO ENJOY WITH SNACKS - PUDINA CHUTNEY
Mint Chutney also known as Pudina Chutney is a spicy, and healthy Indian side dip. It’s made with fresh mint leaves and spices like chilies, garlic & cumin. The chutney is full of tongue-tickling flavors and spices. Make pudina chutney the way you want with this pudina chutney recipe shown in this article.
- Prep Time - 5 minutes
- Cook Time - 2 minutes
- Total Time - 7 minutes
- Servings - 4
You can make your pudina chutney in one of the three ways mentioned below.
Recipe 1 – Ingredients (for Kebab Chutney)
- 1 cup - Mint leaves (pudina, tightly packed 15 grams)
- ½ cup - Tightly packed coriander leaves (around 15 grams. Use cilantro with tender stalks.)
- ½ teaspoon - Sugar
- ½ teaspoon - Salt (adjust to taste)
- ¼ inch - Peeled ginger
- 1 small - Garlic clove
- 1 or 2 - Deseeded green chilies
- 1 cup - Thick yogurt (curd)
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon - Alco cumin powder (jeera powder)
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon - Alco chaat masala (optional)
Recipe 2 – Ingredients for Pudina Chutney
- ½ a cup - Freshly chopped coconut (or one cup of grated coconut)
- ¼ to ½ cup - Loosely packed mint leaves (pudina; do not use stalks)
- 1 tablespoon - Moasted Bengal gram (or roasted peanuts)
- ½ teaspoon - Cumin seeds (jeera)
- ½ inch - Ginger (or one or two garlic cloves)
- Salt (as per requirement)
- 2 or 3 green chilies
- 1 tablespoon - Lemon juice (or one teaspoon of tamarind paste)
- 1 teaspoon - Oil
- 1 - dried and broken red chili broken (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon - Mustard seeds
- ½ a teaspoon - Urad dal
- A pinch of hing (asafetida).
Recipe 3 – Mint chutney for Chaats and Sandwiches
- 1-½ cups - Tightly packed mint leaves (pudina)
- ½ teaspoon - Cumin powder (jeera powder)
- ½ inch - Ginger piece
- 1 or 2 - Green chilies
- Salt (as per requirements)
- ½ a teaspoon - Lemon juice (as per taste)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon - Alco chaat masala (as per taste)
- 1 or 2 tablespoons - Water (as needed)
- 1 or 2 tablespoons - Fried gram or roasted peanuts (skip this if you’re making pudina chutney for chaats)
Instructions for making Pudina Chutney
Pluck the mint leaves from their stems/stalks. Rinse them thoroughly in a large bowl of water a few times. Drain the leaves completely into a colander.
Recipe 1 – Mint Chutney for snacks and kebabs
- In a blender jar, add the following: Mint, Coriander leaves, Salt, Ginger, Garlic, Green chilies, Jeera powder, Sugar and One tablespoon of yogurt.
- Blend the above ingredients to a fine paste.
- Whisk curd (yogurt) to a smooth consistency. Add the blended paste. If using Alco chaat masala add it now.
- Mix well. Adjust salt and chili. Sprinkle lemon juice if required.
- That’s it! Serve with kebabs, snacks & sandwiches.
Recipe 2 – South Indian Pudina Chutney
- If you’re using chana dal and urad dal, dry roast them in a pan till they turn golden.
- Add cumin seeds now. Roast lightly. Turn off and cool. (Optional – You can also sauté the mint leaves in oil for two or 3 minutes and then use them.)
- Add the following: Green chilli, Coconut, Fried gram or dal, Salt, Ginger or garlic, and Mint. Add the above to your blender jar. You can skip the coconut and use roasted peanuts instead.
- Blend everything well. Keep adding little water to scrape off the sides.
- Blend again till the mixture reaches your desired texture. If you prefer adding lemon juice, add it now.
- Adjust salt and chili as needed
- Heat a pan with oil to temper your pudina chutney.
- Add the red chili, mustard, and dals.
- Fry the above mixture till the dal turns golden.
- Add the hing now, and switch off.
- Add these to your pudina chutney.
- That’s all! Stir and serve finger-licking pudina chutney with idli, dosa, sandwich, or any other breakfast or evening snack.
Recipe 3 – Mint Chutney for Chaats and Snacks
- Add the following to a blender jar: Mint leaves, Jeera (cumin) powder, Ginger, Green chilies, chaat masala and Salt (as needed). You can also add some roasted peanuts or roasted, fried gram if you want your mint chutney thick & smooth.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice.
- Blend them well. Add one or two tablespoons of water as needed.
- Make a delicious, smooth Mint chutney.
Now, if you find the above cooking steps too daunting or are in a rush, don't worry. You can make equally (if not more!) delicious Pudina Chutney with Alco's Pudina Chutney mix powder. It gives instant mouthwatering Pudina Chutney without you breaking into a sweat working with all the above ingredients.
FAQS on Pudina Chutney recipe
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.